Saturday, September 13, 2008

My schedule...or his

Friday was going to be all about our first ride together. I'd planned, gotten excited and even posted it on the blog. Well, then our farrier came Thursday for a couple of the other horses and we decided to take those toes back a bit more since he wasn't quite comfortable yet.

Bad news is he is very sore. Good news is that this is the first time he has stood up square since he's been here. He even pointed the right one when grazing. So much for our first ride, though. It's great to see him moving more evenly, and he got comfortable with a little bute. A couple more days and we're starting the saddle time.

He is eating better and really enjoying farm life.

It would be easy for me to get lazy with this one. In a little less than two more months, he's expected to be going walk, trot, canter both directions, free-jumped to see how his form over fences is and jumping little stuff under saddle.

After getting to know him a bit better, I plan to have all that done by the first week of October. The last three weeks will be spent getting him ready for a little training level dressage test and he will make me look like the incredible wonder trainer. Which I am so not.

It's been so long since I rode in a horse show, and never in a dressage one, that I'm certain to be the subject of all the critical comments on the scorecard. Good thing he is so cute that no one will notice me besides the judge.

1 comment:

jengersnap said...

Very cute big boy you've got! I'm putting your blog in my favorites so I can check back on your progress. I'm also blogging my OTTB's reschooling. Unlike yours, I raced her (not that that was spectacular) and now am retraining her from that. You can find my blog in my profile (I think!)